How to dress for a ball
On this page we show you how to dress for a ball. If you go to a ball
your aim is to look elegant and ultra chic in your party outfit. By
following these tips on what to wear to a party you will accomplish
that! We also have amazing examples of ball attire to inspire you. Read
on if you want to look gorgeous on your upcoming ball.
We love this mustard colored ball gown on Diane Kruger! The color matches her skin tone perfectly and is great for a ball in for example the fall season.
- Earrings: Coralia Leets
- Clutch: Bottega Veneta
- Bangles: Jamie Wolf
- Sandals: Shopstyle
How to dress for a ball
On a ball you can steel the show with your appearance. It is one of the few events in your life where you can look on your ultimate best in a long and stunning evening gown, so grab that chance because you will feel great looking like a movie star! It might seem hard to compete with all this other beautiful looking women, especially if you're on a budget. Don't worry, with a large budget or not, if you follow these simple rules you will steel the show on your upcoming event:
- Designer dresses are always amazing but they are also expensive. If you haven't got this money but you still want to look as chic as if you wear one keep your dress simple and elegant in one color and fabric. Simple dresses can easily be glamoured up with accessories.
- Go for dressier fabrics like satin or silk.
- Wear your dress in a color that matches with your skin tone. Any color can be chosen. Keep in mind that the darker the color is that you wear, the more formal it makes you look.
- When you're deciding on how to dress for a ball, always choose a dress that complements your body shape. The model of a dress can make or break your whole look.
- If you're on a tighter budget and you still want to look fabulous you might consider renting a dress
- Don't wear a jacket over your gown. If it's cold outside wear a stole or even better, let somebody drop you off in front of the door like a real star.
- Combine your ball gown with beautiful high heeled open sandals in a color that matches with the color of your gown. The most elegant sandals for under an evening gown have thin heels.
- Take a small, classic, and matching evening bag. Never take large bags, they will dress you down. The smaller the bag, the dressier you look.
- Wear your most beautiful jewelry. Jewels with diamond, pearl or gemstone elements are perfect. Don't overdo it but let your overall look be balanced. Wear big earrings or a striking necklace as a centerpiece. In case you wear a necklace, combine it with smaller or no earrings, make sure that your necklace doesn't compete with the neckline of your ball gown. Both can be worn with a stunning bracelet.
- Your makeup can be more dramatic than on an average party, make your eyes or your lips pop out. Put your hair in a gorgeous updo. If you have the money you might consider to have your hair and makeup be done by a professional.
Stunning examples of ball attire
This blue ball gown makes Penelope look so classy and chic! Combine a dress with fancy crystal accessories like she did and you will look ultra glamorous!
- Earrings: Rubylane
- Clutch: Tiffany
- Necklace: Swarovsky
- Shoes: d'Orsay
- Bracelet: Bridal Jewelry Boutique
Jennifer Gardner looks perfect for a ball in this purple red carpet dress. This deep purple color really complements her skin tone.
- Clutch: Olga Berg
- Shoes: Christian Louboutin
- Bracelet: Anna Bellagio
- Earrings and necklace: Panache Bride
Relevant tips and ideas on how to dress for a ball
- Check out the parties in the navigation bar for more specific parties.
- Wonder what to wear to a party? Just return to howtodressforaparty.com and check out our newest updates, pictures and information about your next party look!