What is white tie?
Wonder what is white tie and what to wear to a party with a white tie
dress code? If you have been invited to a white tie event this will
probably be one of the most formal events you will attend in your life.
This means you finally have a reason to go ultra glamorous, so go for
it! Apply these tips and you'll get the perfect stunning look for a
white tie party!
Amber Heard looks stunning in this purple white tie dress! With a figure flattering dress in a dressy fabric you will always look beautiful, wear some amazing accessories to complete your look.
- Earrings: Serendipidity
- Clutch: Bulaggi
- Bracelet: Swarovski
- Shoes: Stuart Weitzman
What is white tie?
The white tie dress code is one of the most formal dress codes there is and it's only worn on very formal or ceremonial occasions like state dinners and formal evening weddings and balls. It is an evening dress code, this means that it can only be worn after 6 pm (or after dark).
How to dress white tie
- Women are supposed to wear long evening gowns when they go to a white tie event. The color of your evening gown can be adjusted to the season you're in. Silk and satin are the most common (and stylish) fabrics for an evening gown. Never choose for wool. Bare shoulders can or cannot be appropriate, depending on the formality of the event and a cleavage is allowed. Always wear a dress that flatters your body shape if you want to look at your best.
- As accessories you can wear a stole and gloves. Gloves are supposed to be white and long (elbow length). You can keep the gloves on unless an older lady attends the event without gloves. wear a small evening bag that matches with the gown.
- Wear high heels in one color that best match your gown. Open shoes are the most elegant under evening gowns. Wear shoes with a low sole. You can wear stockings under your gown but if you do than make sure that your shoes do not have a peep toe. Don't forget to take an extra pair of stockings just in case.
- Wear your most glamorous jewelry but don't overdo it. If you wear a necklace do not also go for big earrings and if you wear big earrings don't wear a necklace. If you want to wear a necklace remember that the necklace shouldn't compete with the neckline of your gown. Rings are suppose to be worn under your gloves. Don't choose for too fake looking jewelry and do not wear a watch because watches are not done on a white tie event, watching the time is being seen as impolite (although we think watches should never be matched with a formal dress).
- Let your hair and makeup be done by an professional.
Some gorgeous examples of white tie outfits
Here Julie Bowen wears a breathtaking white tie gown in a nude color that matches perfect with her shin tone. She definitely know what is white tie!
- Shoes: Moschino
- Clutch: Olja Berg
- Earrings: Buckley Jewelry
- Bangle: Boutique bijou
If you don't have money for a special designer gown just wear a simple dress in a nice fabric that looks flattering on you. With accessories you can glamour up your look. Padma Lakhsmi wears a beautiful orange dress in a color that matches beautiful with her skin tone.
- Earrings: Isharya
- Clutch: Alba
- Bracelet: Bidding for Good
- Shoes: Charlotte Olympia
Relevant tips and ideas on what is white tie:
- You can consider to rent a gown if you're on a tight budget and you still want to look fabulous.
- Check out the parties in the navigation bar for more specific parties.
- Wonder what to wear to a party? Just return to howtodressforaparty.com and check out our newest updates, pictures and information about your next party look!