What to wear to a gala
If you want to know what to wear to a gala read the tips on this page. On this page we advise you on how to dress for a gala for men. We also show pictures of outfit ideas. Find the inspiration you need with these tips on gala party attire and you will surely make a good impression!
How to dress for a gala
A gala is a formal party. Usually the dress code for a gala is black tie. On some ultra formal galas the dress code can also be white tie but in these cases it is written on the invitation.
Click here for information on what to wear to a gala if the required dress code is white tie.
- Black tie as a dress code means that you should wear a tuxedo. This is a two piece black or midnight blue suit (with a one button placket). The front and the back are the same length with silk or satin lapels (collar). Traditionally a tuxedo is made of black wool.
- Wear a black tie.
- Under your tuxedo you can choose to wear a tuxedo vest or a cumberbund. Of these two the tuxedo vest is the most worn. A cumberbund is sometimes worn on very chic black tie events.
- Wear a white 'tuxedo'shirt under your tuxedo. This shirt should traditionally have a regular collar, a double cuff / manchet and a blind plug. The front of the shirt has to be pleated. The collar should be a winged standing or a foldover.
- The trousers of a tuxedo usually have satin pipings (gallons) to the side seams on both sides of the trousers.
- The kind of shoes that are worn under a tuxedo are usually black leather shoes. In most cases polished or patent leather Oxfords are worn.
- Combine your shoes with long black woolen or silk socks.
- Don't wear a watch. This is not seen as an appropriate accessory on a gala party, with black tie or white tie as dress codes.
- Don’t wear any other accessories.
- At some outdoor galas in the summer a light suit is also accepted. This of course doesn't count if black tie or white tie is the required dress code given on the invitation.
Examples of gala outfit ideas
Relevant tips and ideas
- Check out the parties in the navigation bar for more specific parties.
- Wonder what to wear to a party? Just return to howtodressforaparty.com and check out our newest updates, pictures and information about your next party look!